"Attracting bright young people to study for poultry careers is vital for the future of the poultry and egg industry. The Foundation provides financial support to enhance recruiting and retention efforts at colleges and universities with poultry science programs."

John Starkey
U.S. Poultry & Egg Association

How the Process Works

Each year, the Foundation's board of directors determines the amount to be allocated to schools with poultry science departments. After the amount has been determined, 60 percent of the total is divided equally among the schools. The remaining 40 percent is prorated per student graduating that year.

Cumulative Total Contribution Per University (1994 - To Date)

Student Recruiting Cumulative Contributions Legend (1994 - present)

  • Texas A&M University:
  • North Carolina State University:
  • University of Arkansas:
  • Mississippi State University:
  • Auburn University:
  • University of Georgia:
  • Other:
  • Total Poultry Science Recruiting Funds: $2,354,233.00

Research Benefits Industry Financially

"There is a great urgency to fund research. We are the main organization funding projects across our industry. From helping recruit bright minds to the industry to educating future leaders to sponsoring research, our programs are making a difference."

Mike Levengood
Perdue Farms
USPOULTRY Foundation Chairman

USPOULTRY Research Grants by Subject

Research Grants legend

  • Diseases:
  • Poultry Production:
  • Food Safety:
  • Environmental Management:
  • Poultry Nutrition:
  • Miscellaneous:
  • Processing:
  • Commercial Egg Processing:
  • Further Processing:
  • Other:
  • Research Total: $35,019,062.00

USPOULTRY Research Grant Recipients
ABC Research New York University Clemson University
Auburn University North Carolina State University University of Florida
Clemson University North Dakota State University University of Georgia
Colorado Quality Research Ohio State University University of Illinois
Cornell University Pennsylvania State University University of Kentucky
Drew University Praxis Biologics University of Maine
Georgia Poultry Lab Protein Sciences Corporation University of Maryland
Georgia Tech Purdue University University of Minnesota
Illinois Inst. of Technology Russell Research Lab University of Missouri
Iowa State University Southeast Poultry Research Lab University of Nebraska
Johns Hopkins University Southern Illinois University University of Pennsylvania
Kansas State University Texas A&M University University of Saskatchewan
Louisiana State University Texas Tech University University of Wisconsin
Loyola College of Maryland University of Arizona USDA-ARS
Michigan State University University of Arkansas Virginia Tech
Mississippi State University University of California, Davis Washington State University
Montana State University University of Connecticut

Where the Money Goes

Here are just a few of the innovative ways several universities have used the grants to promote recruitment and retention.

Educational graphic

Poultry Science Program Support

  • University of Arkansas
    • High School Visits
    • Kindergarten through 5th Grade Incubator Demonstrations
    • Annual Poultry Youth Conference
  • Auburn University
    • FFA Poultry Career Development Events
    • Promotional Materials (T-Shirts, Koozies)
    • Recruiting BBQ and Ag Round-Up Event
  • North Carolina State University
    • Poultry Science Summer Institute for High School Students
    • Youth Poultry Awards
    • Spend a Day at State Program for High School Seniors and Juniors
  • University of Georgia
    • 4-H and FFA Poultry Events
    • Poultry Science Avian Adventures Summer Program
    • Young Scholars Program CAES Showcase
  • Mississippi State University
    • High School Student Chicken Dinners
    • Junior College Recruitment
  • Texas A&M University
    • Poultry Judging Team
    • Poultry Institute for Youth

Industry Education / Recruitment

  • California State University - Fresno
    • Support Industry Student Tours
  • Modesto Junior College
    • Recruiting for MJC Poultry Science Program
  • Iowa State University
    • Poultry Interest Group and "Flock to Your Future" Event
  • Penn State University
    • Educational tours of research farm and Meet and Greet networking events
  • Stephen F. Austin State University
    • Creation of Poultry Science brochure
  • North Carolina A&T
    • Support of Poultry Program and Poultry Science Club
  • Wilkes Community College
    • Recruitment and youth education and outreach
  • University of Mount Olive
    • Summer poultry camp for high school students
  • Abraham Baldwin Agriculture College
    • Destination Ag programming and industry tours